Fibromyalgia: A Den of Demons
Dr. Brice E. Vickery
- The lair of a wild usually predatory animal,
- a hollow or cavern used especially as a HIDEOUT,
- a center of SECRET activity
At the end of my 45 years of practice as a Holistic Chiropractic Physician there appeared from time to time, and with increasing frequency, a diagnosis of fibromyalgia usually made by a Rheumatologist or a Psychiatrist. Except for the fact that these were usually “bad cases” I filed them under the heading of advanced myofascial fibrositis and smiled to myself that the doctors who were unaware of the trigger points that had been part of our stock-in-trade for all of those practice years, were getting serious about these abnormalities.
In retirement when it was learned what my vocation had been many people sought my opinions. My stipulations were; That no doctor available was helping them and then I would “take a look”. It was in this vein that we had a person from a fibromyalgia support group. This is where it began. We had of course unlimited time to examine these people and began to make breath taking discoveries, many which were based on previous discoveries which I have been reporting for the last 20 years.
This article is basically in three main sections:
- What is known and/or suspected about the condition,
- The discoveries that I have made about the condition,
- The treatment and outstanding success of the treatment.
I am aware that many traditional doctors will be upset or nonplused by what we present here, for this condition more than any other illustrates the fact that Chiropractic (in particular) has repeatedly ignored the advances made by others and not a few by myself. The best of today’s graduates of the best of schools are, in my opinion, not qualified to either diagnose or treat this condition. This is because the basics of the diagnosis are not taught in any college that is known to me. The diagnosis is comparable to the sequence of events that cause the condition and is the equivalent of another college degree in the extent of knowledge and skills required
In answer to your unspoken question: I write and divulge these things so that people can be better and maintain healthy and productive lives knowing - that only 2% of doctors will understand and – the 2% are ready!
When the student is ready the master appears
Fibromyalgia – State of the Art
Fibromalgia is considered by some as a syndrome or collection of symptoms and by others as a disease entity. The doctors of the world are getting serious about the condition and now have meetings such as the “Copenhagen Fibromyalgia Symposium”. The outstanding symptoms are pain (in muscles and joints) and stiffness. It is generally accepted that this must be whole body pain with representatives on both sides and above and below the waist. The list of symptoms is impressive and diversified. Some doctors now include what is called “The Fibro Five” which are; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression, Irritable Bowel, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraine Headache. Some include sleep disorders. In most severe cases the victims are not able to maintain employment.
The Symptoms are varied and widespread:
- Musculoskeletal pain and aching
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Soft tissue swelling
- Irritable bowel
- TMJ and Bruxism
- Chest Pains
- Back Pain
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Migraine Headaches
It usually is differentiated from arthritis both rheumatoid and osteo, polymyalgia rheumatica, myopathy, hypothyroidism, disk herniation, and cardiac or pleural pain. Despite the symptoms, physical, laboratory, and radiological studies are often normal. This connective tissue disorder is not associated with deformity of the joints. Thus the diagnosis has been clinical.
The Tender Points or Trigger Point Diagnosis (Bilateral)
- Knee, at the medial fat pads proximal to the articulation
- Greater Trochanter, posterior to the trochanteric eminince
- Gluteal, upper outer quadrants of the buttocks
- Lateral Epicondyle, 2 cm. Distal to the epicondyles
- Second Rib, second costochondral junction on upper surfaces
- Supraspinatous origins near the medial border above the scapular spine
- Trapezius, midpoint of the upper border
- Lower Cervical, anterior intertransverse spaces of C-5 to C7
- Occipital, suboccipital insertion
Eleven, some say tweleve of these eighteen points must be positive to approximately two to three pounds/pressure. The point must be reported as painful vs. pressure.
Concept of Central Sensitization
While many theories have been advanced such as hormonal, neurotransmitters etc., astute observers have accurately described the concept of “central sensitization,” the decreased threshold of pain in these subjects.
Hyperalgesia. Some believe that decreased blood to the muscles activates chemicals or initiates their release, accounting for the irritability.
One theory is that it is a disease of the central nervous system not as a pathological change, but a “central activation” vs. a type of myopathy. Remember this very astute observation for we will explain why it is correct even though the proponents do not understand the mechanisms.
At the end of the seventies, and we have written about this ever since, I found that nine out of ten subjects examined were found not able to digest/transport, utilize or incorporate the daily dietary protein which was usually adequate (except for some vegetarians) in intake. The discoveries of Rheinholdt Voll, M.D.1 enabled me to put two and two together and establish that the pancreatic points that he identified as; protein digestion function, carbohydrate digestion function, and fat digestion function on the Pancreas Meridian were almost always caused by lack of suitable amino acids. We developed the Vickery-Voll2 test which was the beginning of an entirely new view of the body and explained why I was never able to keep our patients “straight.”
The way it is believed to work is simple. The amino acids in the correct proportions and in adequate amounts reverse this deficiency by supplying the pancreas and intestinal glands with the ingredients necessary to synthesize adequate digestive enzymes to digest the dietary intake. Having the necessary enzymes the daily food intake is more completely utilized and the transport or carrier proteins are manufactured in suitable amounts and the entire “Enzyme Cascade” of the body is re-established. This begins within twelve hours!
Every case of fibromyalgia is found to have this deficiency but, so do many other problems.
Protein/Enzyme Deficency is the First Demon
The Second Demon
The body gets most of its dietary sulfur from proteins in the form of the sulfur bearing amino acids and some sulfur bearing plants such as garlic and onions, cabbage, and peppers etc.. I knew about this problem in the early eighties but also knew that in the amino acid formula that I developed, there was one molecule in methionine and two in cystine. Furthermore, we were unlocking the dietary proteins taurine etc. which were also sulfur containing.
In retirement, I found a test for sulfur that showed a high percentage of persons that took our amino acids formulas religiously were still sulfur deficient (myself included). I also found that infections, the arthrites and poisonings; heavy metals, PAH’s (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) etc. responded much, much better when we added methylsulfanylmethane to our amino acid formula. Every person that had fibromyalgia was sulfur deficient.
Sulfur Deficiency is the Second demon
The Third Demon
By 1986, I had developed two tests that screened the spine for spinal disk lesions,The BEV Tests3 and the The CCT or Confirmatory Challenge Tests 4 which also identified exactly disks which were involved and the exact corrections necessary to relieve them. I have written about them since that time and will not spend time here describing them. I will, however, explain that every case of fibromyalgia has diskal degeneration throughout their entire spine!
For those of you who are not familiar with my grading of diskal lesions we include the drawings which we presented way back in the early eighties. You will note that we are talking mostly about the intradiskal lesion or Grade 1. This has no visible changes apparent in the CAT scan, the MRI, and the myelogram studies done with contrast media but is neurologically active! It is this lesion that most chiropractors are unknowingly trying to correct! This puts these practitioners in the same condition as a carpenter without glue and other fasteners.
This was known to me in 1982 when I pioneered the use of the CAT scan in the study of diskal lesions in the New York area hospitals and private radiological facilities. Their presence is easily demonstrated through the BEV Tests.
This was pretty much a theory standing alone at that time; but has now since been proven by a new procedure, IDET5 (intradiskal electrothermal annuloplasty ) which I refer to as “Boil-a-Disk”. It is reported to work as “well as fusion” and claims 80% of patients have “reduced pain and greater mobility”.
The procedure involves a six inch needle and a heating element which is inserted into the particular DISK and heated to 194 degrees for fifteen minutes. The heat not only kills the nerves but tightens (cauterizes?) the surrounding ligaments.
I have been trying to inform the profession about this for twenty years but only received defocused stares! Maybe when I tell you that the procedure costs $7000 saving the patient $43,000 (a spinal operation can cost up to $50,000) your attention span will increase. Also this is not practical to do to the victims of fibromyalgia throughout the entire spine!
You can see now that the accuracy of “central sensitization” is a valid observation even though the good doctors are limited by their state-of-the-art diagnostic ability. Those few who practice as I do are way beyond that barrier.
Spinal Disk Degeneration is the Third Demon.
The Grading of Diskal Lesions
The Diskal Connections of the Spinal Nerve
The Fourth Demon
I had been using the test kit Silver Amalgam which is made from homeopathic nosodes in a graduated series since my studies with Voll in the early eighties. Usually it was part of the testing we did on the worst of the allergy patients, the universal reactors.
When I began to test the fibromyalgia patients I was amazed to find that everyone of them was positive! Most of the really bad cases showed in the lower dilutions (D5, D6, D10, etc.) which is the most severe. Furthermore as you will see in our case histories, the offending teeth were removed some 30 years before. The reason for them not ridding themselves of this toxic heavy metal is the preceding protein/sulfur deficiencies preventing the glutathione and 400 series enzymes from being produced and the sulfation detoxification mechanisms (Phase 11 liver detoxification) being therefore totally inadequate.
I suspect that other of the heavy metals are involved and will be testing for them in the future. Right now the all time winner is mercury which if not removed by the liver is deposited in the NERVE and FATTY TISSUES. The reason for irritated nerves continues to grow. Not all cases were from the fillings, but most.
The dental profession just did a study on the relationship between mercury blood levels in the brain and the number of silver amalgam fillings in the mouth. They found that there was no relationship. What our dental brethern failed to take into account was the detoxifying ability of the patient (protein, sulfur etc.) and the specific fillings which were “leaching” mercury. Actually short of punching holes all over the patient the mercury will not show in blood levels, in hair analysis, or in urine and stool. It has to be mobilized for all laboratory tests. That is why the Energetic testing which I have named Vickery Quantum Testing© and EAV, Electropuncture According to Voll, are the only 21st century diagnostic tools that can determine these problems, and with extreme accuracy.
The Fourth Demon is Mercury/Other Poisoning.
The Fifth Demon
This is usually the Epstein-Barr virus. It is the virus associated with chronic fatigue. While the scientific community argues about the confusing results of their laboratory tests I am able to find it with great clarity and accuracy as to its exact degree in the body using our Quantum Testing. We have confirmed it many times with laboratory tests but have left them far, far behind. This virus has recently been associated with breast cancer . In rare cases it is not the EBV but is Coxackie , Cytomegalovirus, or other. Sometimes these subjects have two viruses and a bacteria!
Since most viruses seem to locate irritated and inflamed areas the fibromyalgia victim is fertile soil. Because of his depressed immune functions, his degenerating joint system, his deteriorating spine, his lack of neurotransmitters, and poisoned tissues, all of which are the result of the protein/sulfur inadequacy these viruses, without PROPER treatment, have found a lifetime home. This is one of the conditions that is reported as medically incurable ( EBV ) but has been conquered by natural means for many years.
The Virus is the Fifth Demon.
The Treatments and The Success of Treatment, With Some Case Histories
To fully understand the treatments given it is best to restate the findings in these cases, many which are complications or associated conditions found progressively in other conditions (including the demons).
- Protein (amino acids) deficiency resulting in enzyme deficiencies.
- Multiple spinal disk degeneration.
- Toxic bowel – ileocecal valve malfunction. A. Dysbiosis
- Chronic viral infection – particularly Epstein Barr = chronic fatigue
- Tissues (including bones!) calcium/phosphorus low from lack of protein transport.
- Lack of proper neurotransmitters and hormones insulin, thyroid, serotonin, glutathione, DHEA, and sex hormones from improper amino acid metabolism.
- Lymph slowdown.
- Sinus infections, viral/bacterial/ yeast/fungal.
- Other infections bacterial – ( Lymes disease )
- Lack of Phase 1 and particularly Phase 11 detoxification mechanisms in the liver that allow heavy metals (mercury is only one) to remain in the body. This is where the lack of sulfur results in removal failure and glutathione inadequate production.
- Mercury (or other heavy metal) poisoning.
- Sulfur deficiency.
- Altered body mechanics (crooked posture)
- Vitamin – mineral deficiencies.
- Essential Fatty Acids deficiency.
- Antioxidant deficiency.
- Subluxation This is present in every person with Cat. 1 Distortions and every diskal lesion.
The Treatment In treating any body problem of whatever magnitude the goal is to supply the deficiencies. In the case of acute infections additional supplementation may be added to counteract the invader. Therefore in this condition extra vitamin C (ascorbic acid crystalline) minimum 3000mg. along with an enzyme C-complex, Enzyme Formulations (containing all known factors) one with each 1000 C is always added!
The protein and sulfur problem is addressed with our US and World patent pending Platinum Plus (PAAP) Nothing that we have seen exceeds the spinal disk rebuilding and detoxifying ability of this nutrient. It is in my opinion and all of the doctors who have the ability to monitor the removal of mercury from their patients – the treatment of choice at six per day. The spinal disks begin volumizing in 12 hours. The dysbiosis, lack of HCL, are normalized and the digestive enzymes are replenished re-arming the “Enzyme Cascade” from the pancreas to the individual cells. Since this will be a patented product there will be nothing else that accomplishes these multiple functions.
The Vitamin-mineral used is Bio Multi Plus from Biotics Laboratories which has no fillers and has proved to be a reliable source of Iodine, B-complex, Chromium, Selenium, and Vitamin A. I am sure that there are probably sources equal to this but when you spend your time doing millions of tests on these vitamins and they never let you down – you don’t change.
The essential fatty acids which correct excessive inflamation with prostaglandins, produce hormones, help calcium into the cells, are either from Pure Encapsulations or Omega Plus – both work.
Some Case Histories
- Case # 1. Mrs. E.P. Initial Exam 11/30/98
- This 65 year old patient came with a diagnosis of FM and a possible peripheral neuropathy of the nervous system. This was a surprisingly good diagnosis considering the diagnostic tools available to these previous practitioners. They demonstrated the reliability of a careful neurological exam although they didn’t come up with the foggiest idea of what was going on. This patient had in the last ten years seen forty, FORTY, doctors! A history of very severe attack of scarlet fever - Pain and aching everywhere. Allergy testing previously targeted eggs, mushrooms ,kale, kidney beans. She herself recognizes no allergies. Her main treatment was Ibuprofen. She attended the local FM support group.
- TMJ, Sulfur deficient, protein (amino acids) deficient, Positive BEV Tests (The entire spine was in a state of degeneration), osteoporosis positive, Multiple vitamin deficiencies, had depression, salt deficiency, possible infection in teeth or jaws, all glands malfunctioning, fatty acids deficiency, positive Epstein Barr Virus, positive Herpes Simplex Virus all joints and spine, Mercury poisoning (8 level), Strep infection all joints and spine.
- This was nutritional as any physical work is extremely painful to these people and for that matter any protein deficient person.
- most of the spinal disks had healed except in her neck (this was corrected as the healing nutrients were not able to enter this disk) Mercury had moved favorably to 10 level. She developed “cold sores” in the last battle with the Herpes Virus and it was no longer present in her body! Neither was the Epstein Barr Virus! This patient was still depressed - added additional B vitamin.
- No more depression. No spinal disks. Silver amalgum 15 level! (over 50% mercury removed) This patient reported the last time seen that “she felt like dancing” and she has not detoxified all the way as yet. (We moved to a new area.) All of this was accomplished in five weeks after 12 years of misery.
- This was all done with Platinum Plus Essential Acids Formula, 6/day, professional grade multivitamin mineral formula, and \ Essential Fatty Acids also professional grade, with additional B support.
- Case # 2. Mrs. A. S. 53 years old 4/9/99 (today) –
- Pains for the last several years – primary recent diagnosis possible recurrence of Lyme’s Disease. Legs swell when walking, never feels well , no energy and depressed. When doctors make up their mind as to whether or not Lyme’s is the culprit would have been placed in hopital for three weeks antibiotic treatment IV.
BEV Tests positive all spinal areas, active Lyme’s disease, positive Epstein Barr virus , yeast/fungus infection bowels,
vagina, head. Amino acid and sufur deficient , multiple vitamin-mineral deficiencies, mercury poisoning level 6)fatty acids
deficient, depressed, The Platinum AA, fatty acids, prof. Multivitamin-mineral and other items were sent to her today – a
month’s supply. We will assess her progress in two weeks.
It has been our observation that when a person with yeast fungus infection already is present and massive antibiotics are administered they do not always leave the hospital by the front door.
- Case # 3. Mrs. L.M. 38 years old – 12/4/98
- Her diagnosis of osteoporosis from surgical menopause was largely correct. This diagnosis did not explain however that she had classic symptoms of the newest disease in town, FM. By this time you will know some of what to expect. You will not be disappointed. Failed 14 BEV Tests (whole spine going down the tubes) does not sleep well – sometimes a few hours a night. Reviewed bone density study – not good – glands swollen and very painful, taking Congaplex , Calma Plus, homeopathic lymph drainage formula, had massive ear infections. Osteoporosis neck, lower spine , left hip and femur, positive Epstein Barr Virus, mercury poisoning (8 level) Cytomegalo Virus, sinus lung infections (pneumonia) Strep infection ears, sinuses, spine, most joints. Infected teeth, depressed, lymph blockage, amino acids and sulfur deficient, fatty acids deficient yeast infection bowels, vagina, tonsils, both ears. Salt deficient (thank the medical profession) This girl (mother) had more species living inside her than the inhabitants of New York City! Furthermore she had a provocative attitude and had learned to use her symptoms to control her husband. When things didn’t go her way and she’d cry. She did that when we assured her that we were in charge – not her!
- She was placed on P/AA 6/day, MV-minerals,fatty acids and more special things because of her multiple and overwhelming infections/infestations. I t took her two weeks to get up to full doseages, which is sometimes the way it has to be.
- Now able to take full amounts of nutrients. Erupted with cold sores all around the mouth and lips. Her body was now fighting for the first time – lymph glands more swollen, hot flashes much worse, silveramalgum moved to 10 level. Cytomegalovirus also. Spinal disks healing except for mid spine. Upper jaw still infected.
- Great five days, glands reduced in size and tenderness, sleeping well and she had a better attitude, did physical correction of dorsal disk and solved that problem. This patient is continuing on the program and is doing well.
- Case # 4. Mrs. M. S. 9/12/99
- This 47 year old woman came to me by way of the web. She used a public library. She has had fibromyalgia for fifteen years. She reported that a year or so ago her hair analysis had mercury going off the chart! I explained to her that was good and confirmed the diagnosis but that the problem was with the mercury that the body could not eliminate (Her level was a very large D6). Her virus was the Epstein-Barr. She read and re-read the information that was provided and felt that on a gut level that it was indeed correct. The chiropractor consulted was seeing her daily which at once was reduced to “as necessary” since the treatments were making her even more inflamed but relieved her respiratory problem for a short time (sometimes only hours) as she had a severe dorsal disk lesion which was effecting her diaphragm.
- Nutritional support was begun with 6 PAA, 3 BioMulti, 3 Flax/ borage, 3000 mg. crystalline Cw/3 T1-T2 OPT or Ness 11’s. Every known nutritional need was met.
Only two chiropractic visits were given and her energy had greatly increased.
Her sleep patterns were becoming better and she felt rested afterwards which is a reversal of one of the many symptoms.
- Only one chiropractic adjustment and she had begun an exercise program walking four miles daily. Her mercury levels were down to D30 proving that she was RAPIDLY eliminating from her system. The EBV was gone. (It may re-appear in some 30% of the cases but it is expected and prepared for). We increased her PAA to 8X/day as she habitually did not eat much protein food. Added protein to her diet in the form of two to four eggs per week which she had thought were bad for her as well as more fish and cheeses. This case is responding more rapidly than the average that has had the condition for this many years. The treatment
This condition more than any other spotlights the stubborn lack of progress especially, in the Chiropractic profession, since the other professions have not had presented to them the brilliant discoveries of some of our great researchers. When full knowledge of the sequence of events is known the reversal of these compounded conditions is routine although with great variations. The fact that even the most recent graduate has not the faintest idea of what is going on under his hands is not his/her fault. This profession despite the academic “window trimming” is mired in the 19th century where it started. As even lay persons can readily determine the state-of the-art is inadequate and it is shameful that the college presidents that are contacted say “put it in a journal.”
Chiropractic and Osteopathy have had special treatments that were intimately connected with the body. They also had the heaviest burdens because to contribute to the patient’s lasting health and maintain it they had to explain more than any other profession why these events (distortions, subluxations, and the phsiology and pathology) were occurring! The cry is always for more research. The research is already accomplished!
Medicine did not always bother with finding the true cause but is very adept at remedies that cover up symptoms. In the treatment of fibromyalgia it is largely NSAIDS. The medical profession does as much or even more harm than the chiropractor because they are contributing to the already present cartilage degeneration and presenting more poisons for an already overwhelmed liver.
I for one have chosen the route of bringing this knowledge to those that are ready (in all of the professions) and directly to the suffering people. This route is growing steadily and is a source of great satisfaction. My entire life has more than adequately prepared me for it. While I would readily accept help in submitting these facts and findings to scientific channels, as yet no research director seems interested but perhaps when the doctors that we have taught have seasoned a champion will appear.
There is a great gulf between doctors like myself and the orthodox practitioner with whom I cannot really converse. I illustrate it thusly: The gulf is thirty feet wide and the chiropractor is a ten foot jumper. Who among you is ready to become a forty foot jumper?
- Topographic Positions of Measuring Points in Electroacupuncture, Voll R., Textual Volume 1, 1st English, 3rd German Ed. H Schuldt Ed., Mediziniche Liaterarische Verlagsgesellschaft MBH, Uelzen, Germany, 1977.
- The Vickery-Voll Tests, Free Form Acids, The Key Dietary Supplement, Published Privately, 1986
- The BEV Tests, Vickery B.E., The Collected Papers of the International College of Applied Kinesiology, summer Ed, 1990-91
- The Confirmatory Challenge Test, Vickery B.E., Today’s Chiropractic, Vol. 18, No.5 Sept/Oct 1989
- Beating the Back Ache, Medicine, A New Procedure That Could Revolutionize Disc Surgery, Cowley G., Newsweek, March 15, 1999
- Cancer Cantagion, Medicine, Why Do Epstein-Barr And Other Viruses Show Up In Breast Tumors?, Cowley G., Newsweek, August 30, 1999